4.3 million Texans are food insecure, including nearly 1 in 4 children, but by working together, we are seeing a change.
Addressing hunger is complex, and knowing how to engage is difficult. We all have some of the tools necessary to alleviate hunger but non e of us have all the tools. This is where the Texas Hunger Initiative (THI) comes in. THI conducts university-based research to determine what interventions work and provides the support and expertise to coordinate work in communities and put those programs into action.
With the help of THI, organization in Texas are able to do more.
- More than 323 million breakfasts were served in the 2015-16 school year, a 31% increase compared to 2008-09.
- More than 25 million meals were served in afterschool programs in 2015-16, a 645% increase compared to 2010-11.
- We’ve created or supported 15 coalitions across the state.
- More than 6,000 summer meals sites in 2016, a 45% increase compared to 2009.
- In total, 100 million more meals were served to Texans in 2015-16 than in 2008-09
Your support will help us continue our work. Thank you for being a part of the solution to hunger in Texas. Your gift will support research focused on improving anti-hunger programs, work to increase participation in school breakfast, coalition building to strategically address hunger in communities, evaluations to make sure summer meal sites and sponsors are performing at their highest, and other programs happening in our offices across the state!
Click on the Make A Gift link at the top of the page to make your gift! From there, you can designate your gift to the THI region you wish to support. Once you make your gift, be sure to share on social media using #BaylorGives to encourage your friends to make their gift as well!